We take great pleasure in welcoming you to Bucharest, the “little Paris” of the Balkans. The three-day conference will offer delegates and guests the opportunity to discover new and old places of Bucharest, tradition and modernity. ECTA’s 32nd Annual Conference will take place in the sumptuously decorated ballrooms of the JW Marriott Bucharest Grand Hotel.
Customs Regulation - Latest develoments, Public Hearing "Impact of organised crime, corruption and money laundering on the EU’s internal market" Special Committee on Organised Crime, Corruption and Money Laundering (CRIM), European Parliament, 27 May 2013, Brussels, New Anti-counterfeiting Provisions in Greece
1.2 Trade Marks
Plain packaging in Ireland confirmed, Amendments to Greek Trademarks Law 4072/2012
Preparation of the treaty to harmonize the formalities for Designs, a Design Law Treaty
1.4 Geographical indications
Information notice — Public consultation — Geographical indications from Georgia
2 OFFICE PRACTICE
Signature of Cooperation and Bilateral Agreements with the Croatian office,The Croatian version of the Common Harmonised Database on Classification of Goods and Services available in TM class application
2.2 National Offices
Portugal: Publication of the Guidelines on the application of the Portuguese Industrial Property Code, Turkey: Opposition proceedings available online, Finland: E-filing goes live in Finland
3 CASE LAW
T-244/12 of 14 May 2013, Unister GmbH vs. OHIM The trade mark is descriptive, T-353/12 of 16 May 2013, Aleris Holding AB vs. OHIM – Carefusion 303, Inc Genuine use - Identification of sub-categories of goods, T-356/11 of 16 May 2013, Christian Restoin vs. OHIM The trade mark is devoid of any distinctive character, T-393/11 80/11 of 14 May 2013, Masottina SpA vs. OHIM – Bodegas Cooperativas de Alicante, Coop. V. There is a likelihood of confusion, T-19/12 of 14 May 2013, Fabryka oysk Tocznych-Kranik SA vs. OHIM – Impexmetal SA There is a likelihood of confusion, T-249/11 of 14 May 2013, Sanco, SA vs. OHIM – Marsalman, SL The goods and services are similar, T-508/10 of 16 May 2013, Seba Di Tcaret ve Naklyat A vs. OHIM – Joh. Wilh. Von Eicken GmbH There is a likelihood of confusion, T-80/11 of 16 May 2013, Dwarka Nath Kalsi et Ajit Nath Kalsi vs. OHIM – American Clothing Associates There is a likelihood of confusion with respect to identical goods,T-231/12 of 17 May 2013, Rocket Dog Brands LLC vs. OHIM – Julius-K9 bt There is no likelihood of confusion
4 ECTA NEWS
New ECTA website, ECTA - GRUR Joint Event Brussels Workshop "European Trade Mark System under review - A first analysis of the new proposed legal framework" - 3 June 2013, Brussels
- Civil enforcement of intellectual property rights- Public consultation on the efficiency of proceedings and accessibility of measures
- Public consultation on the protection against misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential business information
- ECTA comments to the Irish Public Consultation on a proposal for an EU Directive on the Tobacco Products Directive (TPD)
- PRESS RELEASE- "The role of trade marks in cross-border trade",European IPR Helpdesk Bulletin, April 2013
- PRESS RELEASE- "From ACTA to standardised packaging: ECTA’s overview of 2012", World Intellectual Property Review e-Digest 2013
- PRESS RELEASE - Protection of European consumers and brand owners from counterfeit goods: Goods in transit in the context of the the Revision of the Community Trade Mark Regulation 207/2009 and of the Trade Mark Directive 2008/95/CE
- PRESS RELEASE - "Trade marks-Governmental Regulatory Instruments" (translated into French), Décideurs Magazine, September 2012
- PRESS RELEASE - European manufacturing and creative industries react to European Parliament vote on ACTA, 4 July 2012
- PRESS RELEASE - Manufacturing and creative sectors urge responsible consideration of ACTA before Plenary vote by Parliament, 21 June 2012
- PRESS RELEASE - European Sister Organisations Joint Statement 23 April 2012 - Objection to the adoption of restrictive legislation or policy options frequently referred to as “generic” or “plain packaging”
- PRESS RELEASE - Signing the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) : ECTA Comments - 12 October 2011
ECTA, the European Communities Trade Mark Association, was formed in 1980.
ECTA numbers approximately 1.400 members, coming from all the Member States of the European Union with associate members from all over the world. It brings together persons practising professionally in the Member States of the European Community in the field of trade marks, designs and related IP matters. These professionals are lawyers, trade mark advisors, trade mark attorneys, in-house counsel and others who can be considered specialist practitioners in these areas.
ECTA’s secretariat is located at Rue des Colonies 18/24, 1000 Brussels (tel: +32 2 513 5285).