ON-LINE REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
ON-LINE REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
1.1 Trade Marks
EU trade mark legislative package voted on 25 February 2014,
IP Translator decision - third common communication released, Trips Agreement Implementation, EU tobacco directive - adoption by the EU Parliament
1.2 Domain Names
Future global negotiations on internet governance – Globalisation of ICANN, .WINE and .VIN, Domain names to be released for registration on 11 March 2014
2. OFFICE PRACTICE
OHIM website progress, Technical cooperation liaison meeting at OHIM, EU Observatory, The Republic of Korea joins TMview, Upcoming OHIM events
Release of the Russian IP PANORAMA
2.3 National Offices
Finland: number of business in trade register on the rise – new business registrations down from 2012, France: new partnership agreement between INPI and Bpifrance
3. CASE LAW
T-570/11 La qualité est la meilleure des recettes The trade mark is devoid of any distinctive character, T-127/12 FREE / FREEMOBILE / free (fig) vs. FREEVOLUTION (fig) The trade marks are different, T-339/12 (fig) vs. (fig) The designs are different, T-380/12 DEMON vs. DEMON (fig) Assessment of likelihood of confusion, C-479/12 H. Gautzsch Grosshandel GmbH &Co. KG vs Münchener Boulevard Möbel Joseph Duna GmbH Interpretation of Regulation N° 6/2002 on Community designs
4. ECTA NEWS
ECTA – OHIM Link Committee meeting, ECTA Round Table session on designs, OAMI User Group meetingmore
- Joint paper from BUSINESSEUROPE, AIM, ECTA,ICC-BASCAP, INTA and MARQUES:
European Trade Mark package
- ECTA comment to support the creation of a specific tld category with the brand tlds
- Joint Oirecachtas Committee on Health and Children. Pre-Legislative Scrutiny of proposed law for ‘standardised’ or plain packaging for cigarettes – ECTA Comments
- ECTA Position paper on the notion of “comparable goods” in the practice of the OHIM (on absolute and relative grounds)
- PRESS RELEASE- "The role of trade marks in cross-border trade",European IPR Helpdesk Bulletin, April 2013
- PRESS RELEASE- "From ACTA to standardised packaging: ECTA’s overview of 2012", World Intellectual Property Review e-Digest 2013
- PRESS RELEASE - Protection of European consumers and brand owners from counterfeit goods: Goods in transit in the context of the the Revision of the Community
Trade Mark Regulation 207/2009 and of the Trade Mark Directive 2008/95/CE
- PRESS RELEASE - "Trade marks-Governmental Regulatory Instruments" (translated into French), Décideurs Magazine, September 2012
- PRESS RELEASE - European manufacturing and creative industries react to European Parliament vote on ACTA, 4 July 2012
- PRESS RELEASE - Manufacturing and creative sectors urge responsible consideration of ACTA before Plenary vote by Parliament, 21 June 2012
- PRESS RELEASE - European Sister Organisations Joint Statement 23 April 2012 - Objection to the adoption of restrictive legislation or policy options frequently referred to as “generic” or “plain packaging”
- PRESS RELEASE - Signing the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) : ECTA Comments - 12 October 2011
ECTA, the European Communities Trade Mark Association, was formed in 1980.
ECTA numbers approximately 1.400 members, coming from all the Member States of the European Union with associate members from all over the world. It brings together persons practising professionally in the Member States of the European Community in the field of trade marks, designs and related IP matters. These professionals are lawyers, trade mark advisors, trade mark attorneys, in-house counsel and others who can be considered specialist practitioners in these areas.
ECTA’s secretariat is located at Rue des Colonies 18/24, 1000 Brussels (tel: +32 2 513 5285).